Content updates

You are here

List of all posts related to Content updates.

English

Digitised Manuscripts of the National Library

A major part of the recently digitised manuscripts of the National Library of the Czech Republic are codices of the former Prague Lobkowicz Library. A homogeneous collection is formed by eleven volumes of historical works and excerpts (XXIII.C.5/1–11) from the property of Thomas Anton Putzlacher; many of which contain works by the historian Jan Florián Hammerschmidt. Further manuscripts of the Lobkowicz collection come from the library of the Premonstratensian monastery in Weissenau and were written in the 12th–15th centuries. Six other manuscripts, written in German, contain also the three-volume chronicle of the Benedictine Emmaus Monastery, capturing the period of 1877–1930 (XVI.A.81–XVI.A.83). Another six manuscripts come from the 15th century and, with the exception of the Latin Historia destructionis Troiae by Guido de Columnis (VIII.B.17), these are exegeses of the Bible, mainly of the Book of Psalms.

English

Printed Sheet-Music Made Accessible

The digitisation of the collections of the Music Department of the National Library of the CR continued with four printed books; some of the codices were complemented by handwritten additions. Two of the books made accessible are binder’s volumes of voice books of vocal polyphony coming from the 16th century and printed in Germany and Switzerland; the Czech hymnal from 1727 was printed in the Old Town of Prague; and the last printed book was made in London in 1781.

English

Alba Amicorum in the North Bohemian Museum in Liberec

Two alba amicorum in the collections of the North Bohemian Museum in Liberec were digitised: the album of Philippe Casimir Le Pieque (Inv. No. ST 307) comprises inscriptions from 1756–1762, made in various parts of Germany; 14 of them are accompanied by illustrations. The inscriptions in the album of Johann August Werlisch (Inv. No. ST 302) come from Nuremberg and Leipzig from 1774–1776 and two of them are decorated.

English

Fragments and Printed Books from the Collections of the Museum of West Bohemia in Pilsen

The Museum of West Bohemia in Pilsen digitised illuminated manuscript fragments and early printed books in 2014. Most fragments come from a sheet-music liturgical codex and comprise small cut-out initials; other fragments come from the period between the 15th century and 1745. The early printed books were made in Germany (Wittenberg, Leipzig) and Switzerland (Basel) in 1504–1517.

English

The Recently Digitised Map Collection of the NL CR

In cooperation with the Research Institute of Geodesy, Topography and Cartography, the Manuscriptorium has provided access to another part of the map collection in the National Library in Prague. The use of a large-format scanner has made it possible to digitise map sheets in a single image. For this reason, also some of the documents that had already been published were digitised anew, like in 2013. In addition, the maps were georeferenced, which is the first step in the future hyperlinking of map data with texts, cataloguing records and the search system within the development of the Manuscriptorium user environment and integrated external services.
The documents that have been newly made accessible include maps of diverse parts of Europe and Russia from the second half of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century. They come from the Prague Lobkowicz Library, for which its founder, August Anton Joseph of Lobkowicz († 1803), acquired for instance a greater part of the Czernin Library and which comprises an extensive collection of aristocratic, monastic as well as private libraries from the turn of the 19th century. Apart from the maps of European countries or individual regions, the recently digitised documents include also war atlases and maps of particular campaigns in the Balkans against the Turks. Considering the wide spatial scope of this collection, it may be assumed the georeferencing of these maps will enable such a method of their publication that will significantly increase their applicability.
 

English

Sheet Music of the National Library of the Czech Republic

The Music Department of the National Library of the Czech Republic has recently made 40 manuscripts accessible. They are (exceptionally autographic) scores mostly from the second half of the 18th century and from the first half of the 19th century. The authors of the individual works include i.a. Josef Mysliveček, František Xaver Brixi, Jakub Jan Ryba, Vincenc Mašek, Leopold Koželuh, Jiří Ignác Linka and Jan Křtitel Vaňhal.

English

Manuscripts of the Royal Canonry of Premonstratensians at Strahov

Four manuscripts of the Royal Canonry of Premonstratensians at Strahov have been digitised. The earliest of them is a collection of the works of St John Cassian, written in the monastery of Hradisko near Olomouc in the 1130s–40s (DA III 25). The collection DA IV 42 comes from the library of the monastery in Weissenau. The Bible DA IV 22 was made in the Czech lands. Salzburg seems to be the place of origin of the catalogue of the local bishops and archbishops (DA II 28) created after 1615, which is complemented by their coats of arms.

English

Pages