You are here


Printed Books from the Museum of West Bohemia in Pilsen

In 2018, the Museum of West Bohemia in Pilsen digitised one incunabulum and two early printed books. The incunabulum, a part of the Bible complemented by various exegeses (shelf mark 502 A 009), was printed in Venice in 1495 and its binding was made for Pope Paul IV in the middle of the 16th century. The earlier printed book contains two works printed in Nuremberg in the second half of the 17th century with examples of calligraphy, whereas the later, Anweisung zu der allgemeinen Reiß und Zeichnung-Kunst by Johann Georg Seiller, comes from Zurich from 1757.


Modern Manuscripts from the Royal Canonry of Premonstratensians at Strahov

Twenty-eight modern manuscripts were digitised from the collections of the Royal Canonry of Premonstratensians at Strahov in 2018. They mostly come from two thematic groups – alba amicorum and historiographical sources mainly from the urban milieu. The first group comprises, for example, alba amicorum of Matouš Günther (DG IV 27), Josef and Rudolf Lidl of Myslov (AD VII 81), Michal Schumann and Kašpar Caselius (AD IV 123), Adam Lehner of Kouba (DF IV 24) and Kryštof Schilling (AD XIII 22); memorial records can also be found in the notebook of Jáchym and Jan of Nostitz (DB V 12). Historiographical texts and collections of excerpts on the history of individual towns are primarily related to Prague, such as the collection DJ II 8 and works by Andreas Jakob Vogdt (DJ II 10, DJ II 13) and Václav Jakš (DH III 20). Other towns include Český Brod (DF IV 42, DD II 5), Kouřim (DG II 36), Litoměřice (DA IV 1, DA IV 12), Mladá Boleslav (DF V 10, DG III 41), Pilsen (DC III 15, DD III 1) and Lower Silesian Bolesławiec (DB V 48). Works from the aristocratic milieu comprise a family chronicle compiled by Johann Georg von Höpflingen und Bergendorf (DG I 6), a genealogical work on the Wunschwitz family (DH II 22), and several manuscripts containing German texts of the Rosenberg Chronicle.


Early Printed Books of the National Medical Library in Prague

The National Medical Library in Prague has provided access to five early printed books or their binder’s volumes from its collections. The earliest of them is the collection of German medical texts, printed in Frankfurt am Main around the middle of the 16th century (shelf mark T 452), whereas the other printed books come from the period between the end of the 16th century and the end of the 18th century. Most of the works are German. The Czech ones are represented by Kniha o babském umění [A Textbook of Midwifery] by Raphael Johann Steidele, printed in 1778 (shelf mark T 446).